Windows 8 has major changes like modern UI for Start Screen etc. You don’t find old Windows 7 Start Menu or Start Button. For small things like shutting down Windows 8 laptop or PC, You need to do few extra clicks.
How to shutdown/restart/sleep Windows 8
1. You already know this. This is how Microsoft wants you to shutdown your Windows 8 laptop or PC. Go to Charms Bar by swiping from right side or pointing mouse to top right corner, Click on Settings, Click on Power, Click on Shutdown. You can get to Charms Bar using shortcut Windows key & C. You can also get to Charms Bar Settings using shortcut Windows key & I.
2. If you are in desktop mode, You can use ALT + F4 to bring up Shut Down Windows popup. You can Shutdown, Restart, Change User etc here.
3. If you add Windows 7 Style old Start Menu in Windows 8, You can easily access Power options.
4. You can create a shortcut for Shutdown on your Windows 8 Taskbar or Windows 8 tile. You don’t need to install any programs for this. You just need to create a shortcut for “shutdown /p” and Pin to Start as tile or Pin to Taskbar. You can find more details here.
6. If you want to have Power options in the System Tray, You can run NPowerTray program. You can set it to start automatically with Windows desktop. It has options for shutdown, sleep, hibernate, reboot. via